Firstly, I chose this song because it is completely different to other genres of music I have looked at previously and is more acoustic than the other songs I have analysed. I will be looking mainly at Narrative, but I also will have references to Media Language and Media Genre.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA mainly proficient application of narrative theory to production. You evaluate the use of binary opposition well but the following needs addressing:
ReplyDeleteTo improve:
1) The structure of the music video indicates a circular narrative thus the story of the girl is revealed as a flash back which recounts events before the primary sequence of events. You need to explain this and that instead of the convention of colour alteration or blurred edges past events are indicated by the beginning of the track.
2) You reference Goodwin's theory re the relationship between the lyrics and visuals. You need to explain whether this relationship is either illustrative, amplifying, contradicting). Please quote a theory as accurately as you can.
3) Another example of binary opposition is between the representation of the homeless girl who is at the bottom of the heap and the highly successful pop star who is at the top of the pile.
4) Barthes five codes needed to be linked closely to the mise-en-scene. Also whether text is open or closed, there is some ambiguity because the girl's death at the end is not entirely clear. But well done for including a reference to Barthes and satisfactorily linking this to the music video.
5) Vladimir Propp.....not appropriate at all. Delete.
6) To put icing on the cake I suggest you add another slide applying narrative theory to your own music video.
At present Level 3 C/B: With revisions Level 4.
Ambitious and including evidence of intelligent research.