Saturday, 12 September 2015

Intertextual References: Influence of Art

Monet Painting


This painting by Claude Monet of Madame Monet and his Son painted in 1875. The reason I chose this painting for influence for our music video was because I liked the way the artist uses bright colours with simple shadows and lighting to create the feeling of warmth on the summer day. As the title for our music video is 'Brightly Coloured Dream' I feel that we need to reflect Monet's warmth within our music video. 

Cromer Painting


One of our locations was to use Cromer beach and pier for the 'beach' themed dream. In this painting above, bright colours are used to bring warmth into the photos, but also The sky is bright blue. This is another thing I would want to create in our music video to reflect summer and happiness. In the photo below is a photo from the summer when I went to Bournemouth. This is roughly the idea I want to achieve with the film through the nice blue sky, the rolling waves and the dots of bright colours. 







Terry Draper

While looking for inspiration on the internet, I came across this local artist named Terry Draper who takes photos along the Norfolk coastline. Instead of looking at the colour in his work, I was drawn to the fascinating clouds. They bring a new dimension to his photos and again this is something I would like to recreate. However, it is now getting into Autumn so we are planning of filming in the next couple of weeks to get the best of the weather and before it turns cold. 



The artist says
 "Inside this photographer is a painter who cannot paint, and I try to use the camera with a painters eye, using natural lighting conditions to produce images in which there is something new to see each time they are looked at."
I feel like we will reflect this within our film because we want it to be eye-catching and exciting, reflecting the style and pace of the song we have chosen.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent research Emily. The colouration, brush strokes and reflections in these paintings and photographs adds a dreamlike texture.

    ReplyDelete